Last weekend I made some delicious cookies and while baking I realized I had forgotten about a recipe that is the epitome of fall, apple cider donuts!!! I have not had a good one in over 4 years, since I started college. I’ve bought store versions, which were dry and last year I tried to make my own but they ended up being baked in a mini muffin pan and they just weren’t quite right. This year I caved and bought a donut pan. I have been walking by it it in target for years now, and I have considered buying it for so long that I haven’t looked at it in months and I still remembered the price. And of course after I bought it it went on sale!
Anyway the pan hold 6 donuts so I had to use the same pan twice but I got a dozen donuts out of the recipe and they are delicious! I have had two as they are and I have made a third into an ice cream sandwich with pumpkin ice cream!!! I’m saving that to celebrate making it through my exam. I’m excited to enjoy the rest of them throughout the week!
While I am beyond thrilled about this recipe I am also excited about some up coming blog posts this week! I used the weekend to get my life together and I have one scheduled and time planned out to write the second. The first one is about feeling like a fraud, which heads up it isn’t just you, its actually a real thing, and the second will be what I hope to make a new series to the blog, Friday favorites, which while feature my few or so favorites of the week and get me to be more regular about posting!
These donuts have been a dream come true and have made a great snack while I worked on this post and started studying. Because, Help! I’ve got a biophysics exam and I am still thouorulghy unaware of what biophysics is! Well at least I’ve donuts to enjoy while I figure it out! Thank goodness for fall foods, like apple cider donuts!
I made these with a modified version of this recipe!
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsps. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 apples
Cinnamon sugar coating:
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ cup white sugar
- 6 Tbsps. melted butter
- Prepare apples by peeling and dicing into ¼ – ½ inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and spray donut pan with cooking spray
- Whisk together both flours and both sugars, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg
- Add in the eggs, apple cider, vegetable oil, and vanilla and mix. This can be done with a mixer or by hand. I used my hand mixer, which has dough hooks, and it worked amazingly! I’m in love with this mixer!
- Stir in the apples
- Transfer dough mixture into a gallon bag and then cut one corner from the bag to make an easy and disposable piping bag. Pipe batter into the donut spaces of the pan. Be sure not to cover the indentation or over fill the spaces because it makes it 10 times harder to get the donuts out of the pan
- Bake for 13-15 minutes
- Let the baked donuts sit in the pan to cool a little while completing the next 2 steps
- Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon in a new bowl that’s bigger than the donuts
- Melt butter
- Carefully remove donuts from pan, they are still hot
- Dip donut in melted butter and the flip so both sides have been coated then transfer to the cinnamon sugar mixture and coat both sides
- Enjoy donuts!
Below I included a printable recipe. Let me know if you have any suggestions or what you think it you try the recipe! Enjoy and I hope you have a great week!