The calendar and I think its Fall even if the weather has other ideas. It has been unusually warm lately and even though its about to get cool for a few days before it goes back to the 70s next weekend. I chose to fit the weather with seasonal baked goods! I know I should be doing homework but I get so much joy out of baking that it is worth it. There is alway time for emails and scientific journals later, which is good because I have plenty to do. But first cookies!
I came up with this recipe based on one I had made last year, Salted Caramel Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies. They were delicious but I wanted something a little more Fall this year. I scrolled through instargram the other day and saw a recipe for snickerdoodles and thought they looked amazing. Fast forward a few days and the need to use up some apples before they go bad and this recipe was born! It combines so many of my favorite fall flavors, caramel, apple, and cinnamon!
Full disclosure cookies have never been my strong suit, the bater is fine I just forget to set a timer and end up burning some of them. The problem is I started my baking with cakes which take much longer than cookies, but I’m getting better. I got the timing right on 3 out of the 5 sheets I made today and the other 2 were only a little crispy on the bottom. I call that progress and therefore a win! The cookies that were perfectly cooked came out amazing;y and now I have a great study snack to mix with my caramel apple tea!
The recipe was a little messy, but nothing I couldn’t handle! It was easy to make and the cleanup wasn’t too bad either. I’m excited that I got to use my new mixer for the first time! So that was fun! And now I have a new fall recipe to share!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ of a cup of apple cider
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 apples peeled and died
- 18-20 caramels, cut in half
- ½ cup of Sugar
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- Prepare apples and caramels
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Use a mixer to cream butter and sugars together.
- Add in the eggs, apple cider, and vanilla and mix, once combine use mixer to slowly add in the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the apples.
- Take about 2 tablespoons of dough in hand and then place a piece of caramel in the middle and wrap the dough around it.
- Mix remaining sugar and cinnamon in a separate bowl to roll the cookie ball in before placing on the prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden brown. Remove from oven and let cookies cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a wire cooling rack and cool completely.
Below I included a printable recipe thats easy to read and you don’t have to worry about spilling ingredients on your devices. Let me know what you think of the recipe or if you try and make the cookies! Happy Fall eating!